Saturday 28 July 2007

Sweetcorn Frittering for the stalker


My personal stalker asks why I post recipes I didn't really like. So I decided to tell the world that the coconut and lemon cake wasn't half bad in the end. I guess the bit about eating it next day was in the recipe for a reason...

Anyway, today we are on to a sure winner: sweetcorn fritters. They don't look like much really, which might be to do with the fact that I am a lousy photographer when hungry. The recipe is supposedly a breakfast thing, which I find slightly optimistic. I had them for lunch with bacon and a yoghurt and sambal olek dip (just stir the two together) and they were excellent.
They also live up to their name by providing an excellent opportunity to fritter away some precious time blogging about them. Who could ask for more!?!?

Sweetcorn Fritters
Yield: 2
200 g fresh or thawed frozen sweetcorn kernels or 225g can
50 g plain flour
3 tb milk
1 egg, separated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1-2 tablespoons of oil

Put the sweetcorn in a bowl and mix in the flour, milk and egg yolk. Add a pinch of salt, a grinding of pepper and the cayenne. Whisk the egg white until stiff and fold gently into the mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan. Drop rounded tablespoons of the corn mixture into the pan, fry for a minute or two until browned on one side, then flip over and fry the other side. Continue until all the mixture has been used, adding a litttle more oil to the pan, if needed. Serve at once.

Source: Rose Elliot, take five (published by Cassell & Co.)